Wednesday, March 14, 2012

California Small Farm Conference



The California Small Farm Conference was fantastic as always. It gives me time to rejuvenate, reflect and expand my knowledge!! I took the Soils Farm Tour because it featured orchards!! Yes we are adding 150 to 200 trees this year and I was so grateful to the farmers that took time out of their busy schedule to do this for us. I went to the Poultry and Beef session and learned they are using ultrasound to ensure the grass fed beef has marbled enough...up to 36 months and the software tells them how much more time on pasture, and I now know the pasture formula that I can duplicate in dry form!! Agritourism was a great source of knowledge for the future!! Grant information galore!! So much to say, but my head is still spinning I will share more in the near future! On the business front there are two lamb shares left. This will be it until August. I know I am looking forward to my lamb stew for St. Patrick's Day this weekend.....we always have to have a good dinner to honor our heritage, but mine obviously includes a good dose of Kentucky blood of Cherokee Indian....that is the only way I can explain my addiction to being connected to the land and the animals. Speaking of some of that blood line...the picture is of one of my beautiful daughters...this is the youngest Meghan showing off our proud achievement of celery. Lots more coming along with a whole heap of produce this year!! Thank you for all your support through my growing pains!!

No comments:

Post a Comment